By Mireille Rizk Corbani
It’s a herb and a fruit. It’s about the size of the tip of your pinky finger, if not slighter. It contains more Vitamin C and antioxidant than any other food on earth. Could be eaten raw, cooked, or dried. Could be used in herbal teas, juices, wines and medicines! It’s the super food of Madonna and Miranda Kerr! Guess what!? It’s Goji Berries we’re talking about. Also called as wolfberries, Goji Berries are grown in the north-central and western areas of China; it has been used in Chinese medicine for more than 6,000 years. But it’s only now that it’s gaining popularity. At present, there is still lacking scientific evidence from research, but it was known for many health benefits:
1. These berries were used as natural remedies for diabetes, hypertension and malaria.
2. Due to its high content of antioxidants especially carotenoids, Goji Berries play important roles in protecting from the risk of developing vision loss and blindness.
3. Some researchers suggest that Goji Berries can improve mood, and protect against diseases like Alzheimer.
4. On a study conducted over 74 cancer patients, it was shown that people treated with immunotherapy along with Goji Berries showed a regression of the disease.
5. The consumption of these berries was known to boost the immune system and reduce fatigue especially for those who live on high altitude living due to the presence of a complex starches called Lycium barbarum polysaccharides.
Is there anything to worry about? Yes, there is! These berries are harmful for anyone who uses blood thinners or take diabetic and blood pressure medicines. It may also be a health issue for people having kidney problems due to its high oxalate content. But we cannot ignore the fact that Goji was the basic food of the Chinese herbalist Li Ching-Yuen, who supposedly lived to be over 256 years old! So aim for a second Li Ching-Yuen and enjoy these super powerful foods!