Built in 1764, Martin Melck House is one of the oldest of Cape Town’s historic houses. Situated on Strand Street in the centre of the Mother City, the premises was owned by a Prussian mercenary who employed the famous French architect, Louis Thibault, to build a Lutheran Church in the city.
The faÃ§ade and interior of the building was constructed by German woodcarver, Anton Anreith. The building is currently being used as a venue hosting various temporary exhibitions. An exhibition on the life and times of Nelson Mandela, from Prisoner to President, is currently on show. |
- Built in 1764
- One of the oldest buildings in Cape Town with original Batavian brickwork still in the foyer
- Stands together with the Lutheran Church and the Dutch Embassy