By Mireille Rizk Corbani
Who said the word “Sexy” is only for humans?! Well, Pitaya is the sexy fruit of the century. Also known as a dragon fruit, with its pinkish red color and green scaly leaves on the outside, Pitaya is one weird looking and mysteriously beautiful fruit. When you open it, you will find flesh fluctuating from white to deep red marked with small seeds. Pitaya, grown in California, Central and South America, and Southeast Asia, is the fruit of a cactus plant.
What nutritional benefits are in this fruit?
• Pitaya is low in calories by providing 60 calories per 100 gram, given 9 grams of carbohydrates per serving and is low in sugar.
• It will provide you with fabulous fiber boost giving 1 gram of fiber per serving which will help relieving constipation.
• Pitaya will make you fight cancer diseases! The number, quantity and variety of antioxidants present in Pitaya will offer a high protection for your body. If you want Vitamin C, just grab one Pitaya, you will take the safest and most effective antioxidants out there.
• Pitaya is loaded with Magnesium, the predominant mineral in your bones, muscles, and brain. It’s the mineral needed for your health to make energy.
• It’s an anti-inflammatory fruit! It will help decrease the irritation of joints.
• Besides like most seeds and nuts they both have fats and protein in them while the flesh of the fruit itself has virtually none!
There can be literally lots of the small black seeds in any given Pitaya! That’s why it means that it does have a small amount of fats because there are so many seeds in the edible part of the fruit. The good news here is that those Fat are the good ones and will give you a lift of Omega-3.
But the question remains, how to enjoy a Pitaya:
• Cut it into two halves, eat its smooth flesh by scooping it out with a spoon.
• You can also try the chilled Pitaya juice that is really tasty and refreshing or you can use it as an ingredient in your fruit salad.
One more tip for you:
• Eat this fruit first thing in the day or on an empty stomach so your body can make the most of the beneficial nutrients and enzymes!