By Chantal Souaid Mchantaf
We tend to write New Year resolutions on New Year’s Eve, and then we end up forgetting them all year long. Here are some tips that will help you actually achieve you resolutions this year.
– Calendar (Paper calendar or your phone’s calendar)
– Notebook (paper notebook or your phone’s notebook)
– Pen, of removing digital
1. Decide what areas in your life you would like to work on
b. Religion and Spirituality
e. Personal Growth
h. Social life
2. Set clear SMART new year resolutions (that we will call goals from now on) in each of the above areas. SMART goals need to be:
a. S – Specific: Decide on a precise goal.
b. M – Measurable: make sure that your goal can be quantified.
c. A – Attainable: It’s not going to the moon. (unless an astronaut is reading this article!)
d. R – Realistic: make sure that your goal is something that you can do, given the resources you have.
e. T – Time-bound: Set a deadline of when you want this goal to be done.
3. Set sub goals that will help you reach each goal. Detail the smaller goals that will help you achieve the bigger goals. For example, if your goal is to run the marathon, your sub goal will be to go to the gym at least once every week.
4 Divide your goals into monthly goals. Decide what month you would like to achieve each goal, then write it down on your phone’s calendar (or actual calendar if you have one). Sticking to the marathon example, if the marathon is in November, decide to write your goal in such a way: “ I would like to run the marathon this year in November” then in your monthly goals of November, write it. As for your sub goal, write for each monthly goal: “I will go to the gym every week to prepare myself for the marathon in November.” Repeat it every month if it is something that you need to do monthly.
5. Divide your monthly goals into weekly and daily goals After deciding that you need to run every months in order to be fit for November’s marathon, write weekly goals that include: “Go to the gym on Wednesday from 6:00 pm till 8:00 pm”. So on Wednesday, and every Wednesday, write that you need to go to the gym, so you make sure that you don’t do any other activities.
6. Implement and have fun!