CLOSE UP ON SANDWICHES
Different flavors and texture characterize sandwiches. What’s so good about sandwiches is that they include different kinds of food placed on or between slices of bread, or any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a wrapper.
The sandwich was originally a portable food item or finger food which began its popularity in the Western World, but is now found in numerous versions in different countries worldwide.
A STEP BACK IN TIME
The sandwich is considered to be the namesake of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, as he was renowned to be the inventor of this food creative combination! According The Wall Street Journal, it is Britain’s ‘biggest contribution to gastronomy.’
DӦNER & GYROS
Franchise opportunities during opening of DIFC flagship store
Döner& Gyros, the street food eatery that offers the best of Berlin and Chicago with its doners and gyros, today launched its franchising program during the official opening of their new flagship store in the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC). The ceremony took place at its Emirates Financial Tower Podium 1 store and was attended by potential investors from the MENA region along with existing stakeholders.
Launched in July this year, the unique street food concept, which is a combination of two famous international cuisines, have been brought together in the UAE to offer affordable, healthy and delicious everyday food. It has already evolved into a popular eatery and now operates from three branches – Dubai Marina, Al Barsha Mall and DIFC.
Chicken and rocket pita pockets
• 2 whole-wheat pitas, halved and opened
• 110ml mayonnaise
• 1 tsp. lemon zest
• 110ml rocket pesto, recipe follows
• 2 store-bought rotisserie chicken breasts, diced into 1-cm pieces
• 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
• 225g rocket
FOR THE ROCKET PESTO
• 450g packed rocket
• 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
• 110ml olive oil
• 110g grated Parmesan
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/Gas Mark 2.
2. Arrange the pita halves on a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 7 minutes until warmed through.
3. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon zest and arugula pesto. Stir in the diced chicken.
4.To assemble the pita pockets, fill each pita half with the chicken mixture. Top with tomatoes and 60g arugula and serve.
5. For the pesto, blend the arugula and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add the oil until well blended. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in Parmesan and salt and pepper.